Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RDP and Campus Computers

From: Greg Vickers <g.vickers () QUT EDU AU>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 09:48:13 +1000

Hi all,

Jeni Li wrote:
Hi John,
You can disable clipboard mapping in TS settings on the office computers, and you can make that a group policy setting.
http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/17d44d9a-cf4b-4a6a-94ec-093cb5f8b2b71033.mspx?mfr=true

As to preventing them from getting data from a work PC to a home PC, there will be workarounds if an employee is really
determined to do it. They could email a file to themselves, store it on an Internet service like Google Docs or iDisk, or
transfer it using a thumb drive or iPod while at work. So I'm not sure how much you will gain by disabling clipboard
mapping, relative to the annoyance you may cause as a result. But yes, it certainly can be done.

I agree wholeheartedly with Jeni here, it is just far too easy for an
insider to remove data from inside the network and take it outside,
inadvertently or maliciously.  To fully mitigate this risk, you would
have to have terminals that have no IO ports that can have storage media
attached to them, physically secured network ports, a process to check
each email that is sent outside the network for attachments or inline
data, strict policies and procedures and management backing for those
policies, high levels of user education, metal scanners at all building
entrances/exits etc etc etc.  In other words, totally unworkable for a
typical University environment.

Maybe you should revisit the risk that you are trying to mitigate here -
that of sensitive data moving outside the network via staff members.
IMHO (and feel free to ridicule or ignore me) there should be a document
drawn up that details the risk and the strategy for that risk (e.g.
avoid, accept, mitigate) and have it acknowledged by your supervisor AND
departmental head, and have them sign it, or ensure that it is otherwise
recognized at an appropriate level.

Good luck,
Greg