Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Automatic Password Resets

From: Steve Schuster <sjs74 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 09:21:10 -0400

Connie,

        We are just now rolling out an on-line password reset feature.  We
are asking people to establish a shared secret mechanism much in the
way eBay and others do it.  On our password management page there is
an area that will allow people to choose questions they want to
answer.  When they need to reset their password they are able to
answer this page and answer the questions they are prompted for.

        In process and application is home-grown and we're just now starting
to roll it out across campus.

sjs

Steve Schuster
Director, IT Security Office