Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Automatic Password Resets

From: "Torres, Juan" <torresj () OHIODOMINICAN EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:33:24 -0400

Connie,

In January, we purchased Anixis Password Reset (http://www.anixis.com/). There is a video on the site that does a full
demo. We had a home grown system, but it was too clunky and it failed our security audit. With the implementation of
this product, we also changed our expiration time from 45 days to 120 days. We are in the process of implementing more
complex passwords, but we felt it was a lot of changes to make at one time.

Pros:
- Very easy to implement.
        We put together a quick landing page before the application.
http://helpdesk.ohiodominican.edu/reset/Default.aspx
- My Favorite Feature - Windows Plug-in that can be deployed in seconds by using AD Group Policy, which allows password
resets right from any campus desktop.
- You customize your own questions
- Faculty/Staff/Students unlock accounts, reset passwords, change passwords
- Disable "VIP" accounts from using it. Therefore, preventing a client form compromising a high level account
- Automatically disables password reset feature if questions are incorrectly answered
- Helps reduce calls to the helpdesk

Cons:
- Very poor tracking. I cannot provide metrics on how successful the product is used.
        The software only creates an event log, no dashboard feature.
        Does not integrate in to call tracking software.
- You must do a major campaign to get members to register.
- People forget their registration questions
- This system does not address our issue with initial account activation. Students still need to contact the helpdesk
to set up their account.
- Only e-mail support because they are overseas. However, very rapid response.

If you need more information, let me know.

Juan A. Torres
Helpdesk Manager
Ohio Dominican University Computer Helpdesk
1216 Sunbury Road | Columbus | OH | 43219
1.888.251.0773 | 614.253.3615