Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Don't Display Last Username??

From: Eric Case <ecase () EMAIL ARIZONA EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 20:34:29 -0700

At 01:24 PM 10/11/2007 -0500, Gibson, Nathan J. (HSC) wrote:
Can I ask how many organization prohibit displaying the username of
the last user on a computer at the login screen?

     It's in my current draft account standard.
<http://security.engr.arizona.edu/standards>

What are your specific justifications for this?

     Like the other has said, it's one of two pieces of information
needed, there are possible privacy implications, it reduces help desk
calls (user A can't get their password to work [with the wrong user
name], user B can't log in because there account is locked and user C
doesn't know what their user name is for remote access) and "the
other systems" don't save it and we want all system to behave the
same for the user.  If someone is going to take the time to configure
the policy for part of the domain it doesn't take anymore time to
configure it for the whole domain.
-Eric

Eric Case, CISSP  <ecase () Arizona edu>
Information Security Officer
College of Engineering   <http://www.Engr.Arizona.edu>
1127 E James E. Rogers Way Room 200
Tucson, AZ 85721-0020