Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Don't Display Last Username??

From: Dennis Tracz <dntracz () UCALGARY CA>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 16:22:40 -0600

I concur with Chris, this is definitely a good thing to do but would not go to the top of my list.

Gibson, Nathan J. (HSC) wrote:

Can I ask how many organization prohibit displaying the username of the last user on a computer at the login screen?

What are your specific justifications for this?

Every “ security best practices” document I have read suggests enabling this setting on the domain, however I need to justify it. I have a list that has some good points but I wanted to see the justification other security practitioners have for their organization.

What risk does it help mitigate in your organization?

Thanks in advance!

V/R,

*/Gibby/*

Nathan J. Gibson, CISSP-CISM-CCNA-MCSA

Information Security Analyst

The University of Oklahoma HSC

Office: (405) 271-2476 *|* Fax: (405) 271-2181 *|* Cell: (405) 397 5134

http://it.ouhsc.edu/services/infosecurity

"Lack of will power has caused more failure than lack of intelligence or ability."
-- Flower A. Newhouse --

Confidentiality Notice

This e-mail, including any attachments, contains information from the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, which may be confidential or privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by a "reply to sender only" message and destroy all electronic and hard copies of the communication, including attachments.

--
Dennis N. Tracz CISSP-ISSMP, CISM
Information Security Officer