Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI Compliance Policies

From: Curt Wilson <curtw () SIU EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:40:53 -0500

What are other .edus doing in terms of staff resources for PCI
compliance? How are other security teams with limited staff handling the
demand of keeping up with existing work and dealing with everything else
that PCI brings to the table?

In the ideal environment much of the standard would have already been
applied, but I am not sure how many of us live in that ideal environment.

If someone is a level 4 vendor does that change the dates or
requirements? Or are they the same for everyone.

I will be doing some additional reading (RTFM) on this.

Thanks

Brad Judy wrote:
We've been doing PCIDSS compliance actions for some time now, including
quarterly scans from an approved vendor, annual self-assessment forms
for each department, etc.

We don't have a specific PCIDSS policy (although any systems that store
CC#'s fall into our private data security policy) partially because, to
me, it seems like any policy statement would end up saying "you must be
compliant with applicable regulatory requirements".  As mentioned, it
might be best to refer departments on campus to a combination of the
direct PCI info and related existing campus policies.

If you're new to this, the best place to start is with the currently
applicable version of the PCIDSS standards (1.1), which can be found
here:

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/pdfs/pci_dss_v1-1.pdf

Then you can move on to the numerous supporting documents here:

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/tech/supporting_documents.htm

Most notable of which, IMO, are the audit procedures, which give some
more detail on the requirements:

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/pdfs/pci_audit_procedures_v1-1.pdf

And the self-assessment questionnaire, which someone in your school
should already be filling out:

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/pdfs/pci_saq_v1-0.pdf

The above website also maintains the list of certified assessors and
scanners.  Find ones that you feel comfortable with.

Brad Judy

IT Security Office
University of Colorado at Boulder