Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI Compliance Policies

From: Theresa M Rowe <rowe () OAKLAND EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 13:30:48 -0400

The date doesn't appear on the PCI site, but our bank and other orgs are giving this date -
For example
http://www.gfi.com/security/pci.htm
Furthermore, PCI DSS compliance needs to be achieved by September, 2007 – this is the deadline posed by credit card
companies. Organizations that fail to comply face fines of up to $500,000 if the data is lost or stolen and risk not
being allowed to handle cardholder data.

http://searchsmb.bitpipe.com/detail/RES/1178314942_651.html
Most retailers and solutions providers believe that September, 2007 will be the true deadline after which Visa will
begin levying fines on acquirers whose merchants who are not compliant with the standard.