Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Pre Production System Accreditation

From: Dan Johnson <djj4 () UWM EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 09:37:28 -0500

Hi Jim,

Okay, I'll bite...

The thought concept that you present is dead-on accurate, if you are a
security person or an auditor.  I cannot argue that point one iota.  Testing
something before it is actually put into production, from a security
standpoint, makes all the sense in the world.  Of course any policy worth
its weight will have that clause or step put into the policy, it only makes
sense.

I think the area of disconnect for the replies is the 'problem space' that
you suggest.  Chad mentions that System Administrators are blocking this
from going through.  Not auditors, security personnel, etc... I read that to
mean standard IT people.  Quite possibly people who know computers inside
and out, but wouldn't know what Wireshark was or what is used for if it came
up and bit them in the...

This is the struggle between security IT people and standard IT people.  You
are correct, my message came through as an us vs. them mentality, but
sometimes, that is what is needed.  (No worries, no quotes from Sun Tzu...)
I, hopefully, presented an ideology that is less militant than quite a few
other suggestions that I have heard over the years...

That's why I stressed that us, as security-minded people, need to be viewed
as an asset by other people who are not security minded.  A lot of the
decision making (read: controllers of the purse strings) do not have
security training, as well as some administrators.  Quite possibly the ones
that Chad mentions fall into this category.  How about another analogy...
you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar?

To use your airplane wing example... Do you test the wing only after it has
been built to find out that it cannot withstand the subzero temperatures in
the stratosphere, then go back and alter the manufacturing process?  Or, do
you try and find out if the materials used in the manufacturing of the
airplane wing, before testing, can accommodate such harsh conditions?  How
do you educate the welders, metalworkers, suppliers, riveters, etc... that
the new material is necessary for the final product?  How do you get
everyone involved into that mind set?

Quite the dilemma and why we all have such wonderful jobs!

This is where I think we are on the same page.  The step that Chad mentions
is the final step of a process that is several steps, not the one and only
step.

Dan Johnson
IS Comprehensive Services Senior
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
PO Box 469
Mellencamp Hall, Room B60
Milwaukee, WI  53201
(414)229-2911

"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the
wise forgive but do not forget."

Thomas Szasz, The Second Sin (1973) "Personal Conduct"