Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Pre Production System Accreditation

From: Dan Johnson <djj4 () UWM EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 15:40:12 -0500

Hi Valdis,

You are correct, there is no such thing as a 'perfectly' secure system and
eventually, (here comes that ROI that Jim mentioned...) the return does not
match the cost.

As well, there has been a lot of FUD going around about security.
Unfortunately, in my haste, I have added to the FUD with 'perfect' security!

As to the level of security needed... um, does that mean I have to take my
home computer down a few levels from the top level DoD specifications as
outlined by NIST?  Man, all that work... ;o)

(In all, very valid points!)

Dan Johnson
IS Comprehensive Services Senior
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
PO Box 469
Mellencamp Hall, Room B60
Milwaukee, WI  53201
(414)229-2911

"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the
wise forgive but do not forget."

Thomas Szasz, The Second Sin (1973) "Personal Conduct"