Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: email threats

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 10:11:24 -0400

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 16:52:53 EDT, Mark DeSerio said:
Does anyone have procedures in place regarding email threats to their
college? Such as certain key words in a message would get forwarded to
personnel to handle the email threat.   This would be bomb threats and
threats to employees. The recent occurrences at other colleges that have
be in the news our college is interested in what other schools have in
place for email threats.

On the rare occasions that something like that hits our security@ or abuse@
addresses, we just throw it over the fence to the police department and let
*them* figure out what to do.  I don't think we've had a e-mailed bomb threat,
but we *do* have the occasional user that forwards threatening/stalking/abusive
mail to ourabuse@ address. It's almost always just one small thing in a whole
soap opera of a relationship gone bad - the police department already had
procedures for dealing with "crazed psycho ex-whatever" long before any of
them e-mailed hate mail, so we let them handle it.