Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Pre Production System Accreditation

From: Chad McDonald <chad.mcdonald () GCSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 10:13:17 -0400

I have proposed that GCSU develop a policy that would require that a
server or system be accredited prior to moving that system into
production.  The accreditation process among other things would verify
that the system's security has been reviewed before potentially
sensitive information is stored on or travels through that system.  I
originally thought that this would blow through the policy approval
process with flying colors, but unfortunately I'm being blocked by my
own department's system administrators.  Am I completely off base with
this recommendation?

Chad McDonald, CISSP, CISA
Chief Information Security Officer
Georgia College & State University