Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: False positives scanning Red Hat servers running Apache

From: Wyman Miles <wm63 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 12:06:23 -0400

In general, the DoS risk isn't that severe.  And, you're not the only
person in the world who can cause one.  If you are, you probably don't need
to bother with vulnerability scanning.

Take various recent OpenSSL bugs, which pop up in our vulnerability reports
all the time, on the basis of reported version.  A real, hard test of NULL
cipher, SSLv2 rollback, etc, is truly benign, but vastly more informative.
Plenty of accurate, reliable tests can be performed without clobbering the
service -- I'd say most of the ambiguity we see in our server farm scans
could be turned into a black and white test without risking the service.

The risk of gentle checks is as much false negatives as false positives.
We can't expect to send sys admins off looking at every "There appears to
be an FTP server running on this port." but we sure can send them off
chasing, "I just exploited ProFTPD."

- --On Thursday, April 26, 2007 8:57 AM -0700 Allison Henry