Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: False positives scanning Red Hat servers running Apache

From: Bill Ogle <info () COMPLYGUARDNETWORKS COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 15:11:49 -0400

Your Linux admin is 100% correct regarding back porting as common practice.
It is done for more reasons than he indicates.
At the same time is he partially correct regarding the scanner and his
declaration of false positive.

Firstly, the scanner did accurately identify the environment. Further, it
recognized a version of Red Hat that is the correct information communicated
by the software. The scanners from most vendors  function the same in this
regard because they all draw on the common knowledge body like NIST, OVAL,
Mitre.org, CERT and others. Please note there is a lag time between when a
patch becomes public record and the knowledge bodies are updated.

Sometimes, depending on the quality of the scanner, further down in the
report will be a "low" or "info" discovery that may well articulate the
correct version of the software.

Certainly the scanner report indicated that that port or IP needed some
attention. It accomplished its task. If you are running a configurable
scanner, add a script to cover the discovery. If not, recognize this will
happen each time to scan.

One final suggestion: if you need a good commercial scanner that is approved
by the financial services industry, check our the scan vendors at
http://www.pcisecuritystandards.org. or do a Google for " PCI testing".