Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Connectivity problems with the US Army

From: Mike Iglesias <iglesias () UCI EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 22:35:49 -0800

Brock, Anthony - NET wrote:
Oregon State University recently noticed that we were being blocked from
accessing all army.mil domains and resources. The block includes access
to their DNS and email servers. We have since learned that this block
was implemented as a result of probes from machines compromised as a
result of the Symantec vulnerability. While we had hoped that the
situation would correct itself, we've since learned that this may not
happen.

We have had zero luck trying to deal directly with the Army
administrators. As a result of the impact on several campus groups, my
administration is looking to escalate this into the political realm. If
possible, I would like to give them an idea of how many other
institutions may have been affected.

Is anyone else encountering this problem?

One of the administrators at the Army NOC indicated that most of the
.edu IP space was being blocked. I would like to have a more solid
foundation before I take that type of assertion to my administration.
Thanks in advance!

We haven't had any complaints from users about connectivity issues with
army.mil sites, but I don't have a good idea of how much traffic there is
between them and our campus.  I can get to the army.mil DNS servers and ask
them for SOA information.  I don't have any hostnames to test, so I can't
tell if they'll give me any of that kind of information.

--
Mike Iglesias                          Email:       iglesias () uci edu
University of California, Irvine       phone:       949-824-6926