Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Questions about Firewall Exceptions

From: Brenda B Gombosky <brenda.gombosky () LOUISVILLE EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:42:11 -0400

Brenda B. Gombosky, CISSP, CHSP
Director, Information Technology
University of Louisville
Miller IT Center, Room 109
Louisville, KY 40292
(502)852-5037
(502)419-6689

"Greg T. Grimes" <gtg4 () MSSTATE EDU> 3/14/2007 5:33 PM >>>
I have a few questions about how everyone handles firewall exceptions.  I
know everyone won't have the same settup as we do, but MSU is looking to
have a formal authorization process for exceptions.  Thanks in advance.

1.  Who manages your firewalls?  Central IT, Department IT?

Central IT

2.  Do you you require approval for an exception in a firewall for a
network?

Yes

  a.  If so, who approves?

Designated security staff

  b.  What is the approval process?

All approvals are approved, any questionable requests are sent to me for final approval as Director

Requests must be in by Wednesday Noon - to be done during PM hours (Friday evenings)
Emergencies must be approved via Dean/Dept head before being sent - final approval by Director (me)

  c.  Do you use a form?

Yes - online

3.  What exceptions do you allow or disallow?

Varied
Again, thank you in advance for your responses.  Have a great day.

--
Greg T. Grimes
Systems Programmer