Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ipsCA and free .edu certs

From: Kenneth Arnold <bkarnold () CBU EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 20:16:18 -0600

We are using the standard Oracle Wallet manager for the certificates.
The only catch I found is that you must first load in the root
certificate CA and the intermediate certificate before you load in the
actual certificate for your server.  This provides a complete chain.
The other certificates you must load in before the server certificate
are located at:

http://certs.ipsca.com/companyIPSipsCA/IPS-IPSCABUNDLE.crt

first and then the intermediate certificate.  Once they are loaded, the
server certificate completes the chain.
Br. Kenneth Arnold

Charlie Reitsma wrote:
I've been using their certs for almost 2 years. They require a chain
certificate  in the server to get past IE without a popup. The Oracle
guy on campus has indicated problems getting the chain certificate in
place using the tools Oracle provides to set up the application
servers. Have you seen this issue?

Quoting Kenneth Arnold <bkarnold () CBU EDU>:

We are using them for four of our web servers running Oracle
Application Server.  We haven't had any problems with users lacking
the root certificate in their browsers.  I don't recommend them for
imap and pop3 yet
Br. Kenneth Arnold
Christian Brothers University.

Rob Tanner wrote:
Hi folks,

It was recently brought to my attention that ipsCA offers free 2 year
256 bit SSL certificates for educational institutions (in the .edu
domain).  Does anybody have any experience with them?  I note that
their
root cert is bundled into Firefox, but does anyone know  about IE or
Safari?  Is there a limit to the number of certificates? Thanks,
Rob