Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ipsCA and free .edu certs

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 19:43:20 -0500

Rob Tanner wrote:
It was recently brought to my attention that ipsCA offers free 2 year
256 bit SSL certificates for educational institutions (in the .edu
domain).  Does anybody have any experience with them?  I note that their
root cert is bundled into Firefox, but does anyone know  about IE or
Safari?  Is there a limit to the number of certificates?

We use their certs in our Clean Access setup with little issue. Users
with older browsers may have to input the root cert manually, but that's
not been a problem in the last year. It appears the IPSCA root certs are
known to Safari, at least in my own case...

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less
we use our power the greater it will be." --Thomas Jefferson.