Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ipsCA and free .edu certs

From: Kenneth Arnold <bkarnold () CBU EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:32:36 -0600

We are using them for four of our web servers running Oracle Application
Server.  We haven't had any problems with users lacking the root
certificate in their browsers.  I don't recommend them for imap and pop3 yet
Br. Kenneth Arnold
Christian Brothers University.

Rob Tanner wrote:
Hi folks,

It was recently brought to my attention that ipsCA offers free 2 year
256 bit SSL certificates for educational institutions (in the .edu
domain).  Does anybody have any experience with them?  I note that their
root cert is bundled into Firefox, but does anyone know  about IE or
Safari?  Is there a limit to the number of certificates?

Thanks,
Rob