Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Connectivity problems with the US Army

From: "Brock, Anthony - NET" <Anthony.Brock () OREGONSTATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 11:13:47 -0800

We have a team of 8 individuals who monitor the abuse address on a
regular basis. We respond to almost every complaint and deal with them
individually (the exception was an internal communication issue over a
single complaint about 4 months ago). We know for a fact that we were
never notified. Also, we checked our domain registration information
last October. It is both up to date and monitored by a related group of
individuals who forward notices immediately.

It is truly sad that you've has such negative experience. However, you
have obviously never sent us an abuse report. Otherwise, you would know
that we monitor and respond to these. We take them very seriously and
act on them in a relatively short time period.

A agree that self-defense is appropriate. However, it doesn't excuse
failing to notify the administrators of the affected domain. It also
doesn't excuse failing to offer potential for remediation. If the
notices are ignored and the abuse continues from the same IP addresses,
THEN I agree that permanent blocking could be considered. To do
otherwise is to perpetuate the very problems your referencing.

Tony