Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Gmail, etc. - Forwarding Email to Personal Accounts!

From: "Sadler, Connie" <Connie_Sadler () BROWN EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 15:02:32 -0500

Hi, all... we have more and more people (faculty and staff as well as
students) who want to forward their work-related messages, as well as
their personal messages, to one central email account, usually gmail.
Obviously, I am concerned about having potentially sensitive university
email content sitting on a gmail server. What are you folks doing to
manage these sorts of requests? Are you preventing staff or faculty from
doing this? If so, how has that worked? We are rapidly moving toward
expectations people have of having all of their messaging funneled to
one place, and while this is certainly convenient, I'm quite concerned
about how we can ensure a reasonable level of security.

Thanks -

Connie J. Sadler, CM, CISSP, CISM, GIAC GSLC
IT Security Officer
Brown University Box 1885, Providence, RI 02912
Connie_Sadler () Brown edu
Office: 401-863-7266
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x91E38EFB
PGP Fingerprint: DA5F ED84 06D7 1635 4BC7 560D 9A07 80BA 91E3 8EFB