Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password policy

From: Jim Dillon <Jim.Dillon () CUSYS EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 17:46:21 -0700

Bob,

Personal opinion is that the number of attempts set to 3 or 5 is
artificially low.  If you already have strong password requirements,
then set that "error out" condition to 25 or 50 and you will foil brute
force attempts.  The "strong" requirement foils guessing - the 3 to 5
try thing was a reaction to people using their kid's or dog's name as a
password.  The other option, using long passphrases like
"imoff2seethewizard" is memorable and doesn't require strengthening
factors to prevent brute force currently.  I'm sure that someday there
will be dictionary attacks against common and well known phrases such as
this, but it seems like a better solution presently.

I'm still in for strong passwords, less changes, and a physical 2nd
factor such as a certificate on a USB key.  USB keys can be had for
under $10 these days and if you require a certificate match along with a
password, your worries about brute forcing, keyboard logging, and other
similar things go away.  Of course you have to assume USB is ubiquitous
and I'm not sure we're quite there yet - but we should be getting close.
Plus you have to unify your authentication practice, and that's a bigger
deal altogether isn't it?  Still, it solves a lot of problems where you
can do it.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Dillon, CISA, CISSP