Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password policy

From: Daniel R Jones <Dan.Jones () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 15:06:49 -0700

Ultimately I do not believe that there is one correct answer to this.
You have to look at what data/asset you are attempting to protect.  Are
password expirations for email worth the extra complexity, pain, and
suffering both for the end user and support organization?  I'd argue no.
Would I be concerned by a system administrator who has had the same 8
character password from the last century?  Yes.

So, I would not automatically rule out password expiration policy from
possible controls you might put in place. I would however put it on the
table as one of my last options if other controls (for example
passphrases or two factor for system administration) are not feasible.

Regards,

Dan Jones, CISSP
Director, Campus IT Security Office
University of Colorado at Boulder