Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password policy

From: "Mclaughlin, Kevin L (mclaugkl)" <mclaugkl () UCMAIL UC EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 12:53:59 -0500

The only way to do that would be to have an enforced policy of storing
no sensitive data on the laptop or have the hard drive / data folder
encrypted. We routinely do forensic examinations that discover ALL the
data on PCs and have no need of a user's passwords in order to get the
data.
-Kevin

Kevin L. McLaughlin
CISSP, PMP, ITIL Master Certified
Director, Information Security
University of Cincinnati
513-556-9177 (w)
513-703-3211 (m)
mclaugkl () ucmail uc edu

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and its content is
confidential, intended solely for the addressee, and may be legally
privileged. Access to this message and its content by any individual or
entity other than those identified in this message is unauthorized. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or
distribution of this e-mail may be unlawful. Any action taken or omitted
due to the content of this message is prohibited and may be unlawful.