Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password policy

From: "Mclaughlin, Kevin L (mclaugkl)" <mclaugkl () UCMAIL UC EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 12:51:30 -0500

Hi:

Considering that the hacker community now considers spending a year or
more attacking a system they really want to crack as a reasonable thing
to do I would say that we should be worried about brute force attacks
that occur over months worth of time.

Btw- I know how passionate this subject is with all of us and that was
one of the reasons I was hesitant to bring it up once more! :-)

-Kevin

Kevin L. McLaughlin

CISSP, PMP, ITIL Master Certified

Director, Information Security

University of Cincinnati

513-556-9177 (w)

513-703-3211 (m)

mclaugkl () ucmail uc edu

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and its content is
confidential, intended solely for the addressee, and may be legally
privileged. Access to this message and its content by any individual or
entity other than those identified in this message is unauthorized. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or
distribution of this e-mail may be unlawful. Any action taken or omitted
due to the content of this message is prohibited and may be unlawful.