Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mandatory Security Training in Higher Education - NEW RELATED DISCUSSION

From: Jim Dillon <Jim.Dillon () CUSYS EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 17:44:48 -0600

The source of this problem (the distributed security dilemma) has a lot
to do with our election of ERP systems and adoption of highly accessible
Web based resources.  By empowering the end user to do increasingly
powerful things, and by putting more and more responsibility to manage
"enterprise administrative" data back to levels closer to the end user,
we've really created a monster.  Empowerment is a neat sounding concept,
and the belief that those closest to the data can make the best use of
it so let's allow/help them to do so sells well even today.  And boy
wasn't it a load off the central service organizations and a reduction
in admin and overhead costs when that work was farmed back close to
home.  It even allowed for better controls and improved processes.

The cost of empowerment is increased local responsibility.  This
includes the knowledge to do all things empowered well, to supply all
the necessary resources, and to manage/govern the outcome at an
increasing lower level of the organization.  We didn't reallocate the
assets to ensure this would happen (and by we I mean Higher Ed and
Corporate America) and thus we have put firearms in the hands of
toddlers in many cases.  Not only have we increased the workload, we've
changed the job requirement from being a low trained functional
paper-pusher to being an educated process owner and manager.  The end
employees must know more, do more, and be integrated more firmly in the
entire process.  It sounds good but it is a stretch on resource and I
maintain we didn't as a country-wide standard make the kinds of
investments necessary to do the job properly.  Thus most departments are
managing shadow systems on their own, developing their own Web and
E-Commerce tools, and getting in way over their head by not knowing the
regulatory environment, not having the IT experience necessary for
quality development and change control, not being able to properly
secure things appropriately, and not even being able to use the new
glorious ERP tools to great advantage.

Thus the current necessity to start pulling in the reins on distributed
computing and the present trend towards centralization of more and more
resources and services.  This will continue until we find that
centralized services are failing to meet the needs of the end
departments and once again we will be enlightened and think that
empowerment of the end user will be the panacea answer.

My only reasons for blogging this philosophical banter is to take the
sting out of my frustration with end users who won't step up to their
responsibilities - we shouldn't require so many to have to - and to
hopefully encourage a very thoughtful consideration of moderate
reorganization somewhere between the radical ends of centralized and
decentralized computing.  I don't know the answer, but I've been part of
a couple of these swings as technology charges forward, and the only way
to right-size for the consequences lies somewhere in the space between
the ends.  I'm afraid we won't like the cost of the answer when we get
there, and I believe it is running from that cost that gets us into
trouble.  A better TCO (total cost of operations) understanding is
needed, and a stronger governance of technology application.  What that
looks like and how to provide it with sufficient freedom to make a few
mistakes and discover better methods is the challenge ahead.

OK, that's as far as I go with trying to be level headed about security,
training, and the constant struggle to get folks to understand their
NECESSARY participation in the process.  I hope there are some brilliant
someone's out there that can make sense of this tail-chasing and get us
headed down a better path.  I'll try to shut up for awhile, I've
consumed a few too many list electrons for my quota.

JD

Jim Dillon, CISA, CISSP

IT Audit Manager, CU Internal Audit

jim.dillon () cusys edu