Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mandatory Security Training in Higher Education - NEW RELATED DISCUSSION

From: Greg Vickers <g.vickers () QUT EDU AU>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:55:56 +1000

Hi all,

Sadler, Connie wrote:
Melissa, I'm talking about basics, mostly, to include the following:

Choose good passwords and never share them
Use VPN for remote access
Encrypt data on laptops and other portable devices
Shred! Shred! Shred!
Lock up confidential materials at the end of the day (Clean Desk Policy)
Keep confidential information to yourself - not for conversation or
gossip
Document access controls
Identify Data Owners and teach them their responsibilities
Apply anti-virus and patching and anti-spyware
Dispose of equipment (hard drives and PDAs) securely
Avoid Phishing attacks
Report suspected security "incidents"
Think of worst-case scenarios and whether or not you can defend your
current practices should a breach occur.

There's more, but the primary message is communicated so that every
employee and faculty member knows our approach and what their individual
contributions should be. The concept of Data Ownership is also key,
because we expect Data Owners to know how their data is stored and
transmitted. They also need to authorize access (delegating it, but
knowing the procedures) to employees, vendors, other departments, etc.

I hope this brief summary helps!

I have also been following this thread as I am in the throes of getting
a project completed to provide IT Security Awareness to the general
staff at QUT.

Thank you for the summary Connie - it definitely covers all the topics
that we want to have in our awareness material :)

--
Greg Vickers
IT Security Engineer & Project Manager

Phone: +61 7 3138 9536