Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wireless Guest Access

From: "Koerber, Jeff" <jkoerber () TOWSON EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:51:40 -0400

We broadcast our guest network and it only allows Web and IM traffic through and is separate from the rest of our
campus network.  We don't broadcast our secure network SSID and we require LEAP authentication against AD.  On our
university owned laptops (Dell Latitude D series with internal Dell Wireless cards), we configure them to use the
windows login information; therefore, they only have to log into their laptop with their AD account and it
automatically logs them into the wireless network.  Since the login script runs, they even get their network drives
mapped.  The down side to this is that it significantly slows down login because the wireless utility has to load
before they can log in (I teach them to use hibernate instead of shutting down).  For non university owned laptops,
they either use the guest network or they are prompted to authenticate to our secure network.

We haven't had any legal or political battles and everyone seems happy with the network (we don't receive many
complaints and we see lots of people using it).

We occasionally get a guest who wants to VPN to another network and we have to explain that we don't allow that on our
guest network.

Hope this helps,
Jeff Koerber
Technical Services Coordinator