Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wireless Guest Access

From: Steve Lovaas <steven.lovaas () COLOSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:57:39 -0600

We offer a guest wireless SSID, with the following restrictions:

- A current staff/faculty member must sign up for a sponsored visitor
(it's an easy web-based request with a 10-minute turnaround time). We've
placed a limit on how long the access is good for, after which time
longer-term visitors need to apply for a university ID.

- The sponsor must then give the temporary username/password to the visitor.

- Visitors are limited to a few common services including Web, VPN, SSH
to the Internet. Almost no connectivity to campus resources, other than
the main web site.

So far we've had lots of rave reviews and few difficulties.

Steve Lovaas
Colorado State University

Christopher Misra wrote:
Our main goal is to allow visiting faculty, staff, prospective students, and >
parents to have a way to use their mobile device to check email via their >
yahoo account, web portal, etc...

We've had a guest wireless access plan in place for about a year now. The
guests have to be "sponsored" by a University dept. The sponsor controls when
they have access to the net (day, time of day). We don't restrict where they
go once they connect. They do have to login to connect to the net so we have
an audit trail.

We have a similar process to VT consistent with our policies. We have
the concept of sponsorship of guest credentials. Currently this is a
partially automated process. We are actively developing an interface to
make the it a more automated process. Our intent is to have a web-based
interface for creation of these guest credentials for wireless access. A
sponsor will login, create the credentials, and issue them to the guest.

Basically, the guest registers the request online, the dept. sponsor reviews
and approves the request, the guest uses the net during the allowed times.

--
Steven Lovaas, MSIA, CISSP
Network & Security Resource Manager