Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wireless Guest Access

From: "HALL, NATHANIEL D." <halln () OTC EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:19:09 -0500

We offer a similar type of system here, but there are a few differences.
Currently, there is no logon other than the initial SSID to the "student
network" (for students, faculty, staff, and external groups utilizing
the campus) although we are researching the possibility.  The network is
physically / logically located outside our internal network firewalls
and is protected by its own firewall.  Combined with the firewall is a
content filtering solution called DansGuardian that prevents users from
viewing objectionable material.

We previously had the network behind a router and did very little
logging.  We were later contacted by law enforcement about a case they
were working and did not have any logs to help them.  We decided that we
would put the firewall in place to have some protection against claims
that we weren't doing enough.

The reason we are considering authentication is to be able to track
somebody down if needed, usually for legal issues or for breaking the
AUP.

--
Nathaniel Hall, GSEC GCFW GCIA GCIH
Network Security System Administrator