Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wireless Guest Access

From: Joe St Sauver <joe () OREGON UOREGON EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:23:33 -0700

Hi,

We've had a guest wireless access plan in place for about a year now. The
guests have to be "sponsored" by a University dept. The sponsor controls when
they have access to the net (day, time of day). We don't restrict where they
go once they connect. They do have to login to connect to the net so we have
an audit trail.

Any concerns about guest access to faculty/staff/student-only licensed
proprietary content or proprietary software?

I've seen a number of instances where access to those sort of resources
is controlled *not* by a formal AAA system that tracks roles and controls
access on a granular basis, but simply by CIDR netblock (or heaven
forfend, by rDNS). Thus, if a guest gets access to the network, say for
reading their email back home or surfing the web, they also get access
to all the institutionally-licensed goodies, too.

I suppose you could probably require guests to agree not to access stuff
they're not supposed to access as a condition of logging on, but defining
precisely what that might be might only serve to highlight those licensed
resources and provide a sort of "shopping list" for those of dubious
integrity.

Oh yes: and just to save folks the trouble of writing, yes, obviously this
is *not* a new problem unique to wireless guest access deployments (for
example, it has always been a problem which has existed for open wired
jacks in publicly accessible spaces, or for residential network connections
that end up shared with friends who aren't currently attending the
institution, just to mention a couple of well known scenarios).

Regards,

Joe