Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mass email handling

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 17:14:20 -0400

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 13:59:02 PDT, "Basgen, Brian" said:

organization chooses not to spam. Also, since this isn't security
related (well, I suppose in an ironic sense it would be), I think you'd
do better by taking your question to another forum.

Security tie-in:  The ability to DoS yourself by getting your main
mail hub listed in a popular black list, and then not being able to
talk to large parts of the net....

We had enough flame-grams when we started an alumni list - an amazing
number of people had either forgotten they had given the alumni office an
e-mail address to send info to, or who apparently did so expecting it
wouldn't be used for that purpose.  (And yes, somebody did screw up and