Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mass email handling

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 13:59:02 -0700

Chris,

 Be advised that anti-spamming laws, while presently weak, do exist. So,
in addition to your internal discussion about the ethics of spamming,
which I hope you are having, you should also consider the legality of
doing so. I'm not aware of Canada's law on spamming, however several
countries do have laws, in which case the question would become the
ethics of breaking/circumventing the laws of those countries.

 Fwiw, most people see spamming as a bad thing, so if your institution
has chosen to justify the means with the ends, then keep in mind that
you probably don't want to advertise that. Naturally, I hope your
organization chooses not to spam. Also, since this isn't security
related (well, I suppose in an ironic sense it would be), I think you'd
do better by taking your question to another forum.

Brian Basgen
IT Systems Architect, Security
Pima Community College