Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: New Video Educates Students on Illegal File Sharing

From: Chris Green <cmgreen () UAB EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:52:40 -0500

On 8/23/06 8:26 PM, "Rizzo, James" <JRIZZO () PROVIDENCE EDU> wrote:

If you have a copy of the CD
and you want the mp3 and don't feel like ripping it yourself (or as was the
case in the olden days (of about 7-9 years ago) when ripping a CD took a long
time, and I'm now making myself feel old), you can download it and keep it and
it falls within your rights of having a legal copy of the CD.

While that's sensible, I don't think that's the case. Isn't that what
MP3.com tried to provide as a service years ago?  I also think that CDs
change quite a bit so when they go and run a new filter on the music, they
are creating a new derivative work that has a brand new copyright.
--
Chris Green
UAB Data Security, 5-0842