Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: New Video Educates Students on Illegal File Sharing

From: Brad Judy <Brad.Judy () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:21:15 -0600

While there was obviously some good effort and work put into this video,
it seems like the type of thing that would be perceived by students as
pretty transparent, RIAA developed video with fear as the motivator.
It's got talk about being prosecuted, how settling out of court is
cheaper than court costs and how buying legit music is even cheaper.
Since the site and video seem entirely focused on music, it also seems
clear that it's RIAA backed.  A good copyright information campaign
should include mention of movies, TV shows, text, images and software in
addition to music.

The website covers some better content in the FAQ section, but it's
music-centric and the website has no ownership (don't we warn people
about websites that list no contact info or even an org/company name?).
It's registered via GoDaddy to PR/communications company.

Some oddly absent items from the website are the DCMA, RIAA and MPAA.
It does mention the No Electronic Theft Act though.  It seems to
intentionally avoid mentioning specific P2P apps or illegal sites
(perhaps to avoid giving ideas to the three students left on the planet
that don't already know what they are).

I found this FAQ tidbit interesting:

"Is downloading and uploading music really stealing?
If it's done without the permission of the copyright holder, it's
legally no different than walking into a music store, stuffing a CD into
your pocket, and walking out without paying for it."

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm quite certain that theft from a store and
online illegal music distribution are entirely different legally.  To
begin with, the victims are different (unless the RIAA and MPAA have
started prosecuting shoplifters on behalf of store owners) and the
applicable laws are different (copyright infringement vs theft).

Overall, I much prefer the types of sites and information campaigns
we've seen various schools put together.  Keep up the good work on those
information campaigns, websites and in-house videos!

Rodney: Sorry to rain on that parade, you know I certainly appreciate
your efforts - I suppose I owe you some content or participation now.
:-)

Brad Judy