Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: New Video Educates Students on Illegal File Sharing

From: "Rizzo, James" <JRIZZO () PROVIDENCE EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:26:46 -0400

I am also not a lawyer, but I believe the fair use clause of copyright law allows for you to make copies of a recording
for personal use.  Whether those copies are on CD, cassette, or digital files is up to the person who purchased the
copyrighted work.  It is for this reason that the blanket statement of "downloading is illegal" is not entirely true.
If you have a copy of the CD and you want the mp3 and don't feel like ripping it yourself (or as was the case in the
olden days (of about 7-9 years ago) when ripping a CD took a long time, and I'm now making myself feel old), you can
download it and keep it and it falls within your rights of having a legal copy of the CD.

As for the whole theft vs copyright infringement, I agree.  That is a very weak comparison.  Someone stealing a CD from
a record store will likely get very little in punishment (maybe a small fine or community service and having to return
the CD, along with only being a misdemeanor).  Copyright infringement can carry felony charges, which stick around to
haunt you.  That and it's considered a much worse crime.  If they want to prosecute people who participate in illegal
file sharing the same as people who steal CD's, they should.  Otherwise, that comparison should not be used.

By the way, I saw on my favorite semi-tech blog, Boing Boing, that the RIAA is behind that website.

Jim

--
Jim Rizzo
Helpdesk Manager