Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password expiration Process ?

From: "Drews, Jane E" <jane-drews () UIOWA EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 09:03:10 -0500

Theresa,
We also expire netid passwords every 180 days. We have a self-service web app
for changes/resets (Anixis APR) in addition to the help desk.  When we first
implemented expiration, we did it gradually - we didn't want to expire all
accounts at once and risk overloading the self-service app and helpdesk. We
did them in chunks over a series of weeks, based on age of password, with a
huge communication campaign before we started.  A system sends daily email
warning notices with instructions for several days before a password expires.

Jane Drews
Univ of Iowa