Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password expiration Process ?

From: "Penn, Blake" <pennb () UWW EDU>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 10:36:51 -0500

Theresa:

We have had a rather smooth experience with enabling password expiration.
It might be important to note that we "bundled" this change with our initial
identity management process (single sign-on).  We haven't had many
complaints, and those that we have received are mostly from marginal
individuals that can be accurately described as change-adverse.

By offering benefits of single sign on, and password self-service, we
largely nullified any negative attitudes about mandatory password changes
which are very lenient compared to industry and regulatory standards (every
180 days, although areas mandated to be in regulatory compliance are
required to change every 90 days).  Feel free to contact me off-list if you
would like more details about our experience.

Blake Penn, CISSP
Information Security Officer
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
(p) 262-472-5513 (f) 262-472-1285