Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Password expiration Process ?

From: Theresa Semmens <theresa.semmens () NDSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 09:14:27 -0500

We are about to enable the Password Expiration process on our student
administration self-service portal.  Grades, course registration and
financial aid are among the functions that the student can access.  As soon
as we 'flip the switch', all passwords expire, and the fun begins.

My question is two-fold.  First, are any of you using a password
expiration process in a student self-service environment?   We have gone
for some time without this, so the password problems we have are the normal
'I forgot' situations.

Second, were there any repercussions after password expiration had been
enabled?  Was it accepted as a standard business practice, or viewed as just
another obstacle in the path of the student, faculty and staff?

Thank you for your time and response.

Theresa Semmens, CISA
IT Security Officer
North Dakota State University
IACC 210C
Ph: 701-231-5870
E-mail: theresa.semmens () ndsu edu

"If you believe you cannot do something, it makes you incapable of doing it.
But when you believe you can, you acquire the ability to do it, even if you
did not have the ability in the beginning."       Mahatma Gandhi