Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password expiration Process ?

From: "Franklin, Elliott" <franklin () TXSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 09:38:02 -0500

I agree with Scott.

We implemented password expiration in October of last year (90 days for
faculty/staff and 180 for students) and are now being asked to review it
again by the faculty.  We send multiple reminder emails before disabling
the account but as most have discovered, these emails are usually
deleted without being read or caught by internal rules or spam filters.
After searching the list archives as well as reading many other
university policies, we are moving toward changing the expiration to
once per year and begin working on two factor authentication for those
with access to private data.

Elliott Franklin, CISSP
Information Security Analyst
Texas State University-San Marcos