Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: "Porn-surfing hits taxpayer IDs"

From: Chris Green <cmgreen () UAB EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:17:47 -0500

In talking to security staff at a large healthcare company, one of the
obligations they have before trusting someone is a penetration test on the
downstream business applications, typically web front-ends.  In the past 6
months alone, they have uncovered 1 million patient records from various
potential partner sites with a maximum exposure of 120K.

Those details need to get worked out and worked into contracts but the
concept is very sane.

One idea we're thinking about doing for this type of data is setting up a
terminal server farm where we know what's on the systems.  Anyone gone down
that route of emulating mainframe computing again?