Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: "Porn-surfing hits taxpayer IDs"

From: Jere Retzer <retzerj () OHSU EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:11:50 -0700

The scenario that concerns me is business partners, some who are unsophisticated technology users who need to access
sensitive data from machines that are totally outside your control. Your web application is covered with SSL and you
have access and authorization in place to keep out unauthorized users, but the machines these authorized outside users
use to access the application may be infected. Guy Pace suggested quarantining machines that don't pass muster but I'm
concerned scanning business partners' machines would be unacceptable.

gtoal () UTPA EDU 06/14/06 3:01 PM >>>
How about for machines we do not control?

you put them in a zone where you don't care too much if
they're infected. Certainly not a trusted 'inside' zone
with access to anything valuable.

(I'm assuming that just keeping them out altogether is
not an option)