Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: "Porn-surfing hits taxpayer IDs"

From: Brendan Callahan <BCallahan () ROCKETREADY COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:59:27 -0400

Great line from this article...

"In the struggle against online data thieves, the incident highlights
the weakest link in the most advanced security systems: individuals who
break security rules and intentionally or unintentionally expose
computer systems to data thieves."

The human firewall needs continual updating, patching, and testing! I'm
talking to a company called Pearl Software (www.pearlsoftwarecom
<http://www.pearlsoftware.com/> ) that has software that lets you limit
a user's web browsing even if they're not on your VPN. That way, when
your laptop users go off your network, they can't infect their pc and
then spread it when they log back on. I haven't met with them yet, so
I'm not endorsing the product (though I'm sure it's fine) but it seems
like it would help in such situations.

Brendan Callahan

RocketReady

888.395.1996 x224