Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Windows Encryption Utilities

From: Harold Winshel <winshel () CAMDEN RUTGERS EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 13:07:45 -0400

I've tried Axcrypt but, if I remember correctly, it can't be used to
encrypt an entire folder or drive unless you do it file by file.

Harold

At 12:26 PM 5/25/2006, Mark Rogowski wrote:
Axcrypt uses 128bit AES to encrypt files.  It also does compression.
The auto execute function is there to provide an easy way to decrypt the
file if the receiver does not have the Axcrypt software installed.  The
receiver still needs the password/paraphrase in order to decrypt the
file.

>>> Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU 05/25/06 11:14 AM >>>
On Thu, 25 May 2006 11:07:32 CDT, Mark Rogowski said:
> I'm going to be introducing AxCrypt to our Windows users - easy to
> install and use.  What I like about it is the ability to encrypt a
file
> with auto-decryption (creates and exe file) you can send to someone
who
> doesn't have AxCrypt installed:

I *hope* it still requires you to transmit the password for the file
via some out-of-band means.  Auto-magic auto-decrypt without a
password
isn't crypto, it's merely obfuscation....

Harold Winshel
Computing and Instructional Technologies
Faculty of Arts & Sciences
Rutgers University, Camden Campus
311 N. 5th Street, Room B36 Armitage Hall
Camden NJ 08102
(856) 225-6669 (O)