Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Windows Encryption Utilities

From: Harold Winshel <winshel () CAMDEN RUTGERS EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 13:00:25 -0400

Mark,

I've tried it and it is pretty neat for encrypting individual
files.  Have you been able to get it to encrypt an entire folder or drive?

Thanks,

Harold

At 12:07 PM 5/25/2006, you wrote:
I'm going to be introducing AxCrypt to our Windows users - easy to
install and use.  What I like about it is the ability to encrypt a file
with auto-decryption (creates and exe file) you can send to someone who
doesn't have AxCrypt installed:

http://axcrypt.axantum.com/

Mark Rogowski
IT Security
Technology Solutions Centre
University of Winnipeg
Ph: (204) 786-9034

>>> winshel () CAMDEN RUTGERS EDU 05/25/06 10:29 AM >>>
I'm researching standalone encryption utilities that can be used to
encrypt both files and directories on an internal hard drive of a
windows computer and also could be used to encrypt data on external
media such as flash drives and external usb drives.

Is it appropriate for me to mention or ask for feedback on this
security list for specific vendor products?

Thanks,

Harold

Harold Winshel
Computing and Instructional Technologies
Faculty of Arts & Sciences
Rutgers University, Camden Campus
311 N. 5th Street, Room B36 Armitage Hall
Camden NJ 08102
(856) 225-6669 (O)