Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: MRTG, RT, WiKi,

From: Graham Toal <gtoal () UTPA EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 23:08:54 -0500

2.  I've installed the MRTG, but need help to configure and
begin to track down some network interfaces, do I need to use
SNMP for this?

No.  You can write interfaces to any sort of data (though not as
easily as with the old 'nocol' software which was pretty nice)

I used to have a *OLD* Cisco router that was pre-snmp, and graphed
it quite nicely by fetching counters over telnet using an 'expect'
script.  Works for almost any device with a terminal interface.

See also rrdtool as something you might use.

3) Helpdesk s/w, whether it's RT, or other s/w you can recommend.

Depends on how you plan to use it, but maybe BugZilla will do
some of the job?  There's a ready-to-use port of BugZilla as a
vmware image available on the net which you can set up in 20 minutes
to try it out.