Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: MRTG, RT, WiKi,

From: ron behrang <ron4peace () YAHOO COM>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 12:36:07 -0700

Thanks so much. The community names change from default to what?

John Bambenek <bambenek () CONTROL CSL UIUC EDU> wrote:
      For #2, yes you'd need snmp enabled on whatever you want to scan and snmp "client" software installed on whatever
the scanning machine is.  The command "snmpwalk" is particularly helpful is seeing all the data you can pull out of
SNMP (it's ALOT).  You should be cautious to properly secure SNMP by restricting what can query a target (especially
making sure that read-write is not enabled) and filtering it at the firewall.  You should also change community names
from the default.

  --
John C. A. Bambenek, Research Programmer
Coordinated Science Lab, University of Illinois