Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: .edu.com domain

From: Dave Koontz <dkoontz () MBC EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 19:58:57 -0400

Whoa, I just checked our domain on their site and it returns a
completely different school!  Our domain is mbc.edu - Mary Baldwin
College (http://www.mbc.edu), yet when I access http://mbc.edu.com it
returns "Morris Brown College" instead!  I wonder if Morris Brown paid
these guys to get the mbc.edu.com address?  Should I turn this over to
our legal team or contact this questionable company?  Any tips on how I
should proceed would be appreciated!

PS:  I've also noticed a very high number of 'spam' emails to our
students from this organization over the last few weeks.

---
Dave Koontz
Associate Director CIS
Mary Baldwin College

Walter Bourne wrote:
It's possible to get 'off'.  Try
<http://msu.edu.com/>

Our Admissions and Counsel are doing a cease-and-desist.

==Walter Bourne
  Columbia University
  IT Security & Policy

--On Wednesday, April 05, 2006 15:55 -0500 Graham Toal <gtoal () utpa edu>