Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: .edu.com domain

From: Walter Bourne <walter () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 17:38:51 -0400

It's possible to get 'off'.  Try
<http://msu.edu.com/>

Our Admissions and Counsel are doing a cease-and-desist.

==Walter Bourne
  Columbia University
  IT Security & Policy

--On Wednesday, April 05, 2006 15:55 -0500 Graham Toal <gtoal () utpa edu>
wrote:

: > I do not know if they actually forward
: > the information, it appears the primary purpose is to harvest
: > information for marketing.
:
: More likely harvest leads to sell back to the Universities.
: And I would imagine if you don't advertise with them,
: some rival university will be prominent when someone
: stumbles on their site looking for you.
:
: Here's a good article on their business model:
:
: http://www.jayweintraub.com/2005/08/trends_report_a.html
:
: G