Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Image SPAM Increase?

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:50:29 -0400

Gary Flynn wrote:

Ken Connelly wrote:

Anything common about these messages that would help me find/identify
them?

The only thing I've seen so far is that the X-mailer header
in all of them is Microsoft Outlook Express. Different versions
though. I wonder if this could be a sign the senders are BOTS.

Subject, return path, source IP address, image name, image
file, all vary.

One more thing. The mail headers I've seen always indicate
two hops to us. The sending IP address always seems to be
a member of the same network as the interim hop. I haven't
tried to verify yet but it would lead me to suspect
they're sent by BOTS
( random clients -> clients' organizational mail servers -> target ).

If so, I would assume something like SPF would be ineffective
because the e-mail would be coming from valid organizational
servers.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer