Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Image SPAM Increase?

From: Dave Koontz <dkoontz () MBC EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:46:39 -0400

If you are running Spam Assassin, update to v3.1.0 or v3.1.1 with associated
rule sets.

Also, you may want to add the SARE Rule sets, especially 70_sare_stocks.cf
from http://www.rulesemporium.com/rules.htm.

If you notice, these spams are all GIF attachments.  Most users send JPG
images and have decent text ratios.  If you are using the SARE rules, you
may want to up your score for SARE_GIF_STOX to something like 4.0.

You may also want to setup your SA Installation to check for URI Blacklists
from http://uribl.com/

---
Dave Koontz
Associate Director CIS